Introduction to BikeEd
BikeEd is pleased to announce the arrival of our online classes. We are calling it ‘Introduction to BikeEd’ and is open to all schools and students in Grade 3-5. Email BikeEd@hbl.org to schedule a class.
Schools may participate in BOTH our virtual class(grades 3-5) and in-person class(grade 4-5).
About our Virtual Class
Topics that we will cover include:
- What to wear and not wear when riding
- How to wear a helmet correctly
- What you should check each time before riding
- Some basic rules of the road
- The benefits of riding a bicycle
About the BikeEd Program
The BikeEd Program started in 1989 and has reached over 100,000 fourth graders on Oahu. The five-day program teaches students how to ride a bicycle, basic cycling skills, and laws of the road. Our target audience is 4th grade public school students on Oahu and is open to public charter and private schools. The program is normally one week long and runs from Monday to Friday between the hours of 8:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. (not including school holidays).
What we provide:
- 30 20′ BMX style bikes that suite children that are 3’6″ to 5′ tall
- 30 helmets
- 30 safety vests
- 2 skilled HBL certified BikeEd Instructors (minimum of 10 students per class)
On-Campus Drill Area Requirements:
- A 150′ x 150′ area (or full basketball court)
- 1 to 6, 45 minute blocks of time.
We can accommodate up to 180 students per school week. Our program is designed to be completed in five days and we can accommodate your school’s rotating schedule if necessary. All participants must have a parent or guardian sign a Waiver Form prior to traveling off-campus. Possession of a bike helmet is highly recommended, but not required. Advance booking is required 6 to 8 months in advance. Cancellations do occur. There is no cost for this program. BikeEd Hawaii is funded by the City and County of Honolulu Department of Transportation Services.
How Do I Get Involved?
- Contact your child’s teacher to volunteer during BikeEd week
- Buy your child a bicycle and helmet from a local bike shop
- Ride with your child at least 30 hours in the next 6 months
- Organize other bike rides at your child’s school
- Become an HBL member today
BikeEd Calendar Note: BikeEd activities at each school are not open to general participation. See the BikeEd rodeos and Aloha Fun Rides for activities open to general participation