We are excited to announce that we will be bringing our five adult recumbent trikes out to the 6th Annual Hawaii Parkinson Walk, happening on Sunday, September 16th at Magic Island! The event will go from 9am till noon, and there are plenty of activities to take part in (see event schedule below).
Recumbent tricycles are known for their unique riding position that offer greater stability and comfort to riders of all levels. Even if you haven’t been on a bike since your childhood, or don’t know how to ride a bike, the recumbent trike offers a (very comfortable) alternative to traditional upright bicycles. They’re great for people with bad backs or poor balance! If you’re used to riding a bicycle this is a fun alternative to see the island from a more laid-back and cruiser-perspective.
Please fill in the form below to be one of the five lucky participants that gets to ride a trike from HBL’s Senior Cycling Program, at the Parkinson Walk! They will start first and lead the pack of walkers on the Magic Island multi-use paths. After completing the pre-ride orientation, you will be provided the recumbent trike and a helmet, along with all the bells and whistles for the event, for no charge. The program is funded through a grant from the City & County of Honolulu, Department of Transportation Services. You can find more about it by going to HBL.org/seniors.
If you aren’t one of the first five to secure a spot, no worries! We will be offering free trike test rides throughout the event every half hour. Come and find Richard Weinstein of the Parkinson’s Bike Exercise Group and Malia Harunaga of the Hawaii Bicycling League at a table at the event.
Complete the form below and Malia, HBL’s Adult Education Manager, will be in touch with you shortly with more information. If you have any questions in the meantime, please contact Malia at Malia@HBL.org or by calling (808) 735-5756.
For more info on Richard’s Parkinson’s Bike Exercise Group and their weekly rides, check out their Facebook page: facebook.com/Parkinsons-Bike-Exercise-Group-629594450766238/
More information about the Hawaii Parkinson Walk 2018:
The Hawaii Parkinson Walk will be held on Sunday, September 16, from 9am-noon at Magic Island. The event is designed to engage people with Parkinson’s disease, families, friends, caregivers, co-workers, healthcare professionals, and corporate leaders to come together and raise awareness of the disease. Registration is free and easy at www.hawaiiparkinsonwalk.org. There is no cost to participate, but fundraising is encouraged. There will be food booths, a kid zone, a resource tent, and lots of prizes and entertainment! Please don’t forget to bring sunscreen and/or an umbrella depending on the weather as this is an outdoor event, and we will walk rain or shine!
Location and Parking
The Hawaii Parkinson Walk will be held at Magic Island, at Ala Moana Beach Park in Honolulu. There is plenty of free and handicap parking in the lot on Magic Island. We will also have volunteers waiting to assist you if you would like to drop someone off directly at the event and then go and park.
- 9:00 am: Event opens at Magic Island.
- 9:30 am: Warm Up!
- 9:50 am: Please gather at the stage for the oli (blessing) and to officially start the walk.
- 10:00 am: Walk begins! Head to the starting line under the balloon archway. You can do one lap or as many as you would like. An alternate exercise will be offered at the exercise tent for those who choose not to do the walk.
- 10:30: Walkers return. Prizes given away on-stage.
- 10:45: Fundraising prizes announced on stage.
- 12:00: Hawaii Parkinson Walk ends.
The event is free and open to the public, but fundraising is highly encouraged and greatly appreciated. Participants can collect donations online once they register at www.hawaiiparkinsonwalk.org. Checks made payable to “Hawaii Parkinson Association” can be turned into the registration tent at the event, or mailed to: Hawaii Parkinson Association, PO Box 1312, Kailua, HI 96734. We will be accepting cash, checks and credit card donations at the event.
- All Participants will receive: A walker bag with sponsor coupons.
- Participants Who Raise More Than $100: Will receive a Hawaii Parkinson Association reusable bag, and an official Walk T-shirt.
- 1st Place Individual Who Raises the Most Funds: Prize TBA
- 2nd Place Individual Who Raises the Most Funds: Prize TBA
- 1st Place Team Captain: Prize TBA
- 2nd Place Team Captain: Prize TBA
- Best Team T-Shirt: Prize TBA
- Team Who Has the Most Members: Prize TBA
Any Team Who Raises Over…
- $2,500+: Team will have your own 10 x 10 tent to gather under at the Hawaii Parkinson Walk. Tent will be set up and waiting for you at event, we will take care of set up and take down. Funds must be raised by 8/20
- $5,000+: Receive the above & we’ll provide a table & 6 chairs. Funds must be raised by 8/20
- $7,500+: Receive the above & we’ll provide, two tables, a dozen chairs, Starbucks Coffee and a 1 dozen donuts. Funds must be raised by 8/20