Nuuanu and Punchbowl are a pair of neighborhoods located in Honolulu just above Downtown that together form the neighborhood board district of Nuuanu-Punchbowl. The boundaries of the district run from Vineyard Boulevard, around Punchbowl, and all the way up to the Pali Lookout. The district is mostly residential, with houses thinning as the Koolau Mountain Range is approached, though businesses are present on the makai end of the district. Running down the center of Punchbowl and Nuuanu is the Pali Highway, a high-speed road that connects Honolulu with the Windward side of the island. Due to the steep slope of the area and a lack of bike infrastructure in the area, most transport in Nuuanu and Punchbowl is by motor vehicle.
What the Oahu Bike Plan calls for:
The Oahu Bike Plan has several separate aims in the Nuuanu/Punchbowl area. By creating a bike lane along Liliha Street and a bike route along Nuuanu Avenue the Oahu Bike Plan hopes to improve connectivity between Honolulu and Nuuanu. Adding a bike route to Pauoa Valley will make cycling between the valley and Downtown much easier. By turning sections of Old Pali Road and the Pali into a bike route traveling over the Pali for work or recreation will become a viable option. The Oahu Bike Plan designates the majority of the projects in Nuuanu and Punchbowl as priority three (low priority).
- Alakea Street, Nimitz Highway to School Street, Route
- Iolani Avenue to Prospect Street, South School Street to Ward Avenue, Lane
- Kanealii Avenue, Lusitana Street to Kapalu Street, Route
- Kapalu Street, Kanealii Avenue to Pauoa Road, Route
- Kuakini Street, Liliha Street to Nuuanu Avenue, Route
- Lusitana Street, Iolani Avenue to Pauoa Road, Route
- Nuuanu Avenue, Vineyard Street to Pali Highway, Route
- Nuuanu Pali Drive, Waokanaka Street to Pali Highway, Route
- Nuuanu Stream Path, Nimitz Highway to Existing Nuuanu Stream Path, Path
- Pali Highway, Nuuanu Ave to Waokanaka Street, Route
- Pali Highway, Waokanaka Street to Nuuanu Pali Drive, Route
- Pali Highway, Central Middle School to Wyllie Street, Route
- Pali Lookout Access Road, Pali Highway to Pali Lookout, Route
- Pauoa Road, Lusitana Street to Kapalu Street, Route
- School Street, Iolani Avenue to Middle Street, Route
- Wyllie Street, Liliha Street to Nuuanu Avenue, Lane
What’s being done:
There are currently no plans to implement bike infrastructure in the Nuuanu/Punchbowl area.