Nanakuli and Maili are a pair of neighborhoods located on the western side of Oahu that together form the neighborhood board district of Nanakuli-Maili. According to their neighborhood board, the district extends from the end of Maili Beach Park to just before Makaiwa Beach Park where Farrington Highway meets the ocean. Relative to nearby Ewa Beach and Kapolei, the area is sparsely populated. Lualualei Naval Magazine occupies the back of the valley, farms fill the middle, and houses cluster near the seashore. Access into the area is provided by Farrington Highway, though it is possible for military members to travel through the Naval Magazine towards Wahiawa. A bike route of poor quality along Farrington Highway is the only bikeway currently in the Nanakuli/Maili area.
What the Oahu Bike Plan calls for:
The Oahu Bike Plan calls for a handful of projects to be completed in the area. Most ambitiously, the Oahu Bike Plan calls for a bike path to be built along the entire oceanfront of the area. Once completed the path will link to planned paths in Kapolei and Ewa, allowing cyclists to commute all the way from Makaha to Aloha Stadium on a single path. As part of the Oahu Bike Plan, a route would also be created through the back of Nanakuli Valley, connecting residents with the main road. A route would run through the Lualualei Naval Magazine, allowing military members to reach Wahiawa by bike, and a route would be completed along Farrington Highway, connecting the Nanakuli area with nearby Ewa and Makaha. The Oahu Bike Plan designates the ocean bike path as a high-priority project.
- Farrington Highway (Nanakuli), Mohihi Place to Farrington Highway at Honokai Hale, Route
- Kolekole Pass, Paakea Road to Trimble Road, Route
- Leeward Bikeway (Phase 2), Lualualei Naval Road to Hawaiian Railroad Society Train Station, Path
- Malii to Waianae (Valley Route), Plantation-Waianae Valley, Lualualei Homestead Road-Mailiili-Paakea-Lualualei Naval Road, Route
- Nanakuli Valley Loop, Nanakuli Ave-Nanaikala Street-Haleakala Ave, Route
- Waianae Coast Path, Lualualei Naval Road to Kili Drive, Path
What’s being done:
There are currently no plans to implement the planned infrastructure in the Nanakuli/Maili area.