Kalihi-Palama is a neighborhood located on the western side of Honolulu just beneath Liliha. According to its neighborhood board, Kalihi-Palama is defined as the area makai of School Street from Middle Street to River Street. The area has a mix of users, with industrial activity clustered around Sand Island, commercial users centered around Nimitz Highway and Dillingham Boulevard, and residences filling the space between Dillingham and the H1. The neighborhood is home to Honolulu Community College, Farrington High School, and big box stores like Best Buy and Home Depot. The area is also home to a number of bike lanes, most notably on Nimitz Highway and Sand Island. With Fort Shafter on its north-west end, Kalihi-Palama is also home to some of the few viable bike crossings towards the Airport.
What the Oahu Bike Plan calls for:
Given the number of high-speed or congested roads that move across Kalihi-Palama, the Oahu Bike Plan generally recommends separated bike infrastructure in the form of bike lanes for the area. The plans for Kalihi-Palama will extend the bike lanes on Nimitz Highway and add bike lanes on King Street and Middle Street, making it possible to travel between Downtown, Kalihi-Palama, and Pearl City without fighting directly with motorists for road space. A bike lane down Mokauea Street will connect Nimitz and Dillingham with the future site of the rail station for the area. A bike lane on Gullick Avenue and a bike path on Kohou Street will connect the Kalihi-Palama area to nearby School Street and the Kalihi Valley Area. The Oahu Bike Plan designates the projects in Kalihi-Palama as medium to low priority.
- Alakawa Street, Nimitz Highway to Dillingham Boulevard, Lane
- Auiki Street, Sand Island Access Road to Nimitz Highway, Sand Island Access Road to Nimitz Highway
- Dillingham Boulevard, Middle Street to Puuhale Road, Lane
- Dillingham Boulevard, Puuhale Road to North King Street, Route
- Gulick Avenue, School Street to North King Street, Lane
- Iwilei Transit Station, Dillingham boulevard to Nimitz Highway, Path
- King Street, Middle Street to River Street, Lane
- Kapalama Canal (Kohou and Kokea Street), Nimitz Highway to Houghtailing Street, Path
- Liliha Street, King Street to H1 Freeway, Lane
- Middle Street, Bridge, Bridge over H1 Freeway
- Middle Street, Kaua Street to Haumanu Place, Lane
- Middle Street, North King Street to Kamehameha Highway, Lane
- Mokauea Street, Auiki Street to North King Street, Lane
- Nimitz Highway, Valkenburgh Street to Waiakamilo Road, Lane
What’s being done:
There are currently no plans to implement bike infrastructure in the Kalihi-Palama area.