The Airport is a neighborhood board district located on the western side of Honolulu and bounded by the ocean and Salt Lake Boulevard. As its name suggests, the Airport district is devoted to air travel, with Honolulu International Airport and Hickam Airforce Base both calling the area home. Outside of those living on military bases, the area is almost entirely commercial and industrial. At its mauka end, the Airport District is cut by Nimitz Highway and the H1 Freeway—the two major arterial roads in the area. The area does have limited bikeways, including a bike path alongside Nimitz Highway—which provides one of the few crossings over Moanalua Stream—and a section of bike lane on Salt Lake Boulevard. Despite its heavy traffic, cyclists often ride recreationally on nearby Lagoon Drive.
What the Oahu Bike Plan calls for:
Recognizing that the high-speed and heavy volume of traffic in the Airport District can be intimidating for cyclists, the Oahu Bike Plan attempts to add separated bikeways to the major roads in the district. Specifically, the plan calls for bike lanes on Nimitz Highway and Kamehameha Highway. Increasing the utility of these bikeways would be several bike routes on less trafficked roads. Bikeways would be added around Honolulu International Airport, along Valkenburgh Street, and up Camp Smith Road to the Salt Lake Boulevard bike lanes. To accommodate recreational riders, bike lanes would be added to Lagoon Drive as well. The Oahu Bike Plan assigns generally low priority to the projects slated for the Airport District, with the core project in the area—the Nimitz bike lanes—designated as a low priority project.
- Ala Lilikoi Street (Camp Smith Road), Nimitz Highway to Salt Lake Elementary School, Lane
- Aolele Street, Airport Loop to Lagoon Drive, Lane
- Bougainville Drive, Radford Drive to Salt Lake Boulevard, Lane
- Honolulu Airport Access Route, Aolele Street to Paiea Street, Route
- Kamehameha Highway (East Loch), Waihona Street to Airzona Memorial, Lane
- Lagoon Drive, Nimitz Highway to End, Lane
- Nimitz Highway, Valkenburg Street to Waiakamilo Road, Lane
- Radford Drive/Valkenburg Street, Bougainville Drive to Kamehameha Highway, Lane
What’s being done:
There are currently no plans to implement bike infrastructure in the Airport District.