Aiea is a neighborhood located on the western side of Honolulu, just past Aloha Stadium. According to its neighborhood board boundaries, Aiea is constrained by Kaahumanu Street on its Ewa side and Aloha Stadium on its Diamond Head Side. In true Ahupuaa tradition, the Aiea neighborhood runs from the ocean to the ridgeline of the mountains. Like many Honolulu neighborhoods, Aiea is more residential in its mountain reaches and more commercial along its ocean side. The neighborhood is cut by several major roads, including the H1 Freeway, Moanalua Road, and Kamehameha Highway. While Aiea has few bikeways, the Pearl Harbor Bike Path—which extends for several miles around Pearl Harbor—does begin in this neighborhood.
What the Oahu Bike Plan calls for:
The Oahu Bike Plan has three major aims for Aiea. First, recognizing the high-speeds and heavy traffic volumes prevalent on Aiea’s major roads, the Oahu Bike Plan seeks to add bike lanes to Kamehameha Highway and Moanalua Road, providing cyclists a measure of separation from motorists. In order to facilitate travel from these major roads to the residential heart of Aiea, the bike plan looks to build bike lanes up into the mountains along Kaahumanu Street, Kaonohi Street, and Kaamilo Street. Finally, the Oahu Bike Plan seeks to improve the usability of Pearl Harbor Bike Path by building an extension of the path to the Arizona Memorial and adding improved bikeways on the smaller roads that connect the Pearl Harbor Bike Path to Kamehameha Highway. The Oahu Bike Plan designates the projects along Moanalua Road, and the connectors along the Pearl Harbor Bike Path as high priority.
- Aiea Heights Drive, Moanalua Road to Ulune Street, Lane
- Aloha Stadium Access Lanes, Pearl Harbor Bike Path to Ulune Street, Lane
- Honomanu Street, Moanalua Road to Kamehameha Highway, Lane
- Kaahumanu Street, Kamehameha Highway to Komo Mai Drive, Lane
- Kaamilo Street, Kulawai Street to Honomanu Street, Lane
- Kamehameha Highway (East Loch), Waihona Street to Airzona Memorial, Lane
- Moanalua Road, Kaahumanu Street to Aiea Heights Drive, Lane
- Pearl Harbor Bike Path Connector (Hekaha Street), Kamehameha Highway to Pearl Harbor Bike Path, Lane
- Pearl Harbor Bike Path Connector (Kanuku Street), Kamehameha Highway to Pearl Harbor Bike Path, Lane
- Pearl Harbor Bike Path Connector (Pearl Kai Center), Kamehameha Highway to Pearl Harbor Bike Path, Lane
- Pearl Harbor Bike Path Connector (Pearl Ridge Transit Station), Kamehameha Highway to Pearl Harbor Bike Path, Lane
- Pearl Harbor Bike Path (Rainbow Bay), Arizona Memorial to Kamehameha Highway, Path
- Salt Lake Boulevard, Kamehameha Highway to Ala Lilikoi Street, Lane
- Ulune Street, Aiea Heights Drive to Halawa Valley Street, Lane
What’s being done:
There are currently no plans to implement bike infrastructure in Aiea.