Love biking? Want to improve biking in Hawai‘i? Come work for the Hawaii Bicycling League! We’re looking for awesome people to join our team!
Adult Cycling Education Manager
The position will coordinate and manage HBL’s adult and senior cycling education that conducts on-bike and hands-on educational workshops, presentations oriented to different audiences, and tabling and other outreach to spread the education about cycling.
- Community outreach to schedule workshops (80+ total workshops) and educational presentations/events (40+ total) over the grant period.
- Assist with grant writing and reporting.
- Curriculum maintenance for Senior Cycling Program with use of recumbent adult trikes.
- Curriculum maintenance for Adult Cycling Workshops at beginner, intermediate, and advanced riders (and non-riders).
- Community outreach through marketing, e-mails, press releases, and social media to attract students for courses.
- Course registration management.
- Teach curriculum to adults and seniors.
- Manage volunteer and contract instructors to lead hands-on and on-bike workshops.
- Manage equipment (Adult Education Manager will be responsible for safely transporting and storing bicycles used in educational courses).
- Assist in planning, coordinating, and delivering bicycle education presentations oriented to different audiences including our established Beginners Guide to Cycling, Cycling in Hawai‘i, Share the Road, and Walk Bike Drive.
- Gather routine evaluation and feedback for the program.
- Expand bicycle education and promotion by tabling at other events.
- Coordinate educational outreach events as needed to increase bicycle safety.
The right candidate for this position will:
- Be able to focus on accomplishing plans, goals, and objectives
- Have excellent oral and written skills
- Be a creative and motivated self-starter
- Have the ability to motivate and manage instructors
- Have experience and interest in working with a diverse range of people on a daily basis
- Be able to handle multiple tasks at once and meet deadlines
- Be able to work in a fast paced, open, team-oriented office
- Have excellent attention to detail
- Demonstrate passion for creating a more bike friendly Hawai’i & be familiar with the cycling issues
- Be computer-literate and internet savvy, with direct experience in using MS Office (Excel, Word, Powerpoint), experience with databases, web design and editing, graphic design, social media
- Be able to lift 35 pounds and have physical stamina.
- Be willing to work flexible hours with weekends and nights, including prior to and during events
- Have a valid driver license
- Willingness to complete the League Cycling Instructor certification by the League of American Bicyclists; certification to be paid for by HBL
Desired but not required:
- Experienced, regular and motivated vehicular cyclist who enjoys bicycling for many reasons
- Certified as a League Cycling Instructor
- Undergraduate college degree (bachelors)
This full-time position reports to the Executive Director and works closely with a team of staff, Board members and volunteers. Salary is commensurate with experience.
Send your application (https://www.hbl.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/Employment-Application-Form-1.pdf) and resume via email to bicycle @ HBL.org, subject line “Adult Education Manager”. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Applications will be reviewed starting May 4, 2020 and will be accepted until the position is filled.
Via Indeed: Please submit your resume and completed application form via email through Indeed (job post here), including the email subject line: Adult Education Manager. Inclusion of a cover letter is encouraged.
Find fillable PDF application form at hbl.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/Employment-Application-Form-1.pdf
Job Summary: Responsible to a) plan, execute, and oversee Hawaii Bicycling League (HBL) events — the Hale‘iwa Metric Century, Honolulu Century Ride, Zachary Manago’s Ride in Paradise, and HBL’s Annual Dinner, and b) investigate, recommend for approval, promote and execute additional events, to promote bicycling in Hawai‘i and generate revenue for the Hawaii Bicycling League.
Successfully manage every aspect of events resulting in participant satisfaction and safety, along with positive financial results.
- Secure event permits and ensure all permit requirements are met.
- Set-up and manage event registration and fundraising pages for events.
- Update and maintain event webpages.
- Solicit and secure sponsors for events.
- Create, implement and manage event budgets.
- Train and provide support to key Volunteer Captains for a smooth running operation.
- Recruit and retain a pool of volunteers on a long term basis.
- Administer events, directing staff, vendors, and volunteers according to timeline and planned logistics.
- Promote events to increase event participation and revenue.
- Execute post-event evaluations to improve future events and grow participation.
- Integrate event participants and sponsors into the overall HBL mission
- Produce event t-shirts, jerseys, and merchandise to supplement event revenue and build the HBL brand.
- Work in cooperation with the volunteer Events Committee (evening meetings).
- Experience working at increasingly responsible levels of event planning and management
- Self-starter, detail oriented, customer service oriented, proactive
- Strong written, verbal and visual communication skills
- Substantial project management, negotiation, problem solving, teambuilding and evaluation skills
- Financial management knowledge and skills
- Fluency in word-processing, database and spreadsheet applications, including MS Word and Excel
- Ability to manage multiple projects with competing priorities simultaneously; ability to make informed decisions and apply consistently skillful judgment
- Ability to lift 50 lbs and have physical stamina, work flexible hours with weekends and nights, including prior to and during events
- Reliable personal vehicle and valid driver license
Desired but not required:
- College degree
- Website posting, editing, and social networking skills
- Experience with sports events
- Active bicyclist
- Salary commensurate with experience + performance based bonuses
- Paid medical and dental insurance
- Paid vacation and sick leave
Send your application (https://www.hbl.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/Employment-Application-Form-1.pdf) and resume via email to bicycle@HBL.org, subject line “Events Director”. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Applications will be reviewed starting May 20, 2020 and will be accepted until the position is filled.
Via Indeed: Please submit your resume and completed application form via email by replying to Indeed (job page here), including the email subject line: Events Director. Inclusion of a cover letter is encouraged.
We’re always looking for interns as well! Learn while helping with our events, advocacy, and education to enable more people to bicycle. Click here to learn more!