How To – Register Your Bike
This is the How To for the City and County of Honolulu (O‘ahu!)
Do you need to register your bike?
- Hawaii law (HRS 249-14) requires with wheels 20” in diameter or greater must be registered to be used on public streets.
- If you have a bicycle with wheels smaller than 20” in diameter, or a maximum seat height lower than 25”, you legally do not need to register your bicycle (although it can be helpful in recovering stolen bikes).
How do you register your bike? (for O‘ahu)
- Needed documents
- Proof of Ownership – This can be provided in 3 possible ways. 1. Receipt of sale, 2. Bill of sale, 3. Affidavit of Ownership (available at the office – see below)
- Registration form (available at the office – see below) – This form requires information on the bicycle: make, year, color, serial number (normally this is stamped in the bicycle between the bottom bracket at base of the bike), whether it’s a Men or Women body type, number of speeds, and wheel size. See image of form below.
- Once you have all your information, these are the offices available to handle registration:
- Main Bicycle/Moped Registration Station – 1112 Kapahulu Ave, Honolulu, located in the trailer building directly under the H1 viaduct – click here for google map. The advantage in going to the main office is that they provide you the registration sticker on the spot.
- All satellite City Halls – you can get and fill all the paperwork at any of the satellite City Halls. Click here for a list. If fill your registration here, you’ll receive your sticker in the mail.
Helpful fillable forms for bicycle registration:
- Change of Address (Form CS-L(SS)214) – If you change your original address that your bike was first registered with, you’ll want to update it to your current address. (Must file within 30 days of change.)
- Notice of Transfer (Form CS-L(SS)215) – If you are selling or buying an already registered bicycle, you’ll need to fill out this form transferring the past bicycle registration to the new owner. (Fill out within 10 days of sale.)
- Application for Duplicate Bicycle Registration (Form CS-L(SS)35) – Misplaced/defaced/lost/ your bicycle registration? Fill out this form for $5 to get a duplicate registration for your bicycle.
- Statement of Fact Ownership (Form CS-L(SS)37) – Bought/acquired a bicycle but wasn’t able to get their “Notice of Transfer” form completed? Fill this out form.
- Bicycle Bill of Sale (Form CS-L(SS)47) – Selling or purchasing a bicycle? Both the person selling and the person purchasing the bike needs to fill out this form.
- Application for Replacement of Bicycle Tag (Form CS-L(SS)91)
Link for all online forms through the City & County of Honolulu’s site can be found at: https://www.honolulu.gov/city-services/168-main-site/1778-forms-all.html