HBL is seeking a new team member!
Click on the link to learn more about the position.
If interested, please send resume in PDF format and completed application (click here for form-fillable application) to email@example.com with subject line of the position you’re applying for. Applications will be accepted until position is filled.
Membership & Volunteer Coordinator
Responsible for individual and business membership growth, management, benefits, and retention at the Hawaii Bicycling League (HBL). Will work closely with the Co-Executive Directors, other staff, volunteers, and Membership Committee to increase the involvement of individual and business members in advocacy, education, and events to build a bike- and walk-friendly Hawai‘i. The Volunteer Coordinator responsibilities include all aspects of organizing volunteers for HBL’s small and large events and actions to recruit and maintain volunteers.
- Primary responsibility for HBL’s membership program to grow membership and service existing members.
- Develop member-based events and rides.
- Individual HBL Members:
- Implement activities for annual membership recruitment and retention, including developing marketing materials, creating and managing website materials, publishing monthly membership newsletters, organizing mailings, phone banks, community outreach, and event outreach.
- Manage and be responsible for membership processing, mailings, and data entry systems.
- Business Members:
- Assist with supporting current and recruiting new business members.
- Manage business member relationships and fulfill membership benefits.
- Seek and develop HBL member discounts at supporting businesses.
- Assist at Fundraising Committee Meetings.
- Implement strategies to meet organization’s annual fundraising goals.
- Grow and develop our Volunteer program to support HBL’s mission.
- Recruit, train, and assist volunteers and interns including developing volunteer forms, online registration, managing volunteer database and recording total volunteer hours.
- Manage and lead monthly Volunteer Nights and Phone Banks, develop volunteer incentive and appreciation programs, develop leadership program for motivated volunteers.
- Develop evaluation system for member and volunteer programs, and make periodic reports as requested.
- Participate in and sometimes lead various other projects that tie directly into HBL’s mission.
- Other duties as assigned. Participate and assist in other events, education, and advocacy as requested/available.
The right candidate for this position will:
- Be able to focus on accomplishing plans, goals, and objectives
- Have excellent oral and written skills
- Be a creative and motivated self-starter
- Have marketing experience
- Have a design background and skills
- Have the ability to motivate and manage volunteers
- Have experience and interest in working with a diverse range of people on a daily basis
- Be able to handle multiple tasks at once and meet deadlines
- Be able to work in a fast paced, open, team-oriented office
- Have excellent attention to detail
- Demonstrate passion for creating a more bike friendly Hawai‘i & be familiar with the cycling issues
- Be computer-literate and internet savvy, with direct experience in using MS Office (Excel, Word), experience with databases, web design and editing, social media
- Be able to lift 30 pounds and have physical stamina, work flexible hours with weekends and nights, including prior to and during events
Desired but not required:
- Experienced in membership development and fundraising development for other organizations
- Experienced in CRM (Salesforce) database management & wordpress website development
- Experienced, regular and motivated vehicular cyclist who enjoys bicycling for many reasons
- Undergraduate college degree (bachelors)
This full-time position reports to the Co-Executive Directors and works closely with a team of staff, Board members and volunteers. Salary is commensurate with experience.
To Apply Send your application (https://www.hbl.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/Employment-Application-Form-1.pdf) via email to bicycle@HBL.org, subject line “Membership & Volunteer Coordinator”. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Applications will be reviewed starting February 5, 2019 and will be accepted until the position is filled. Please submit your resume and completed application form via email by replying to this post, including the email subject line: Membership & Volunteer Coordinator. Inclusion of a cover letter is encouraged.
Find fillable PDF application form at hbl.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/Employment-Application-Form-1.pdf
You’ve heard it before – the “real-world.” What will your future hold? What type of experience do you want to gain? How do you choose an organization to work with? The Hawaii Bicycling League may be your answer. HBL can provide what other organizations cannot: the opportunity to bring your personality and skill-set into a meaningful role that you help shape. Event interns have planned and managed a two-day ride around Oʻahu, created the Honolulu Century Ride’s first annual EXPO, served 3,586 participants, established new community relationships, created media packets and releases, and managed vendors and volunteers.
The HBL staff is very friendly and enthusiastic. From this experience, I discovered how important and enjoyable it is to be a part of a passionate, dedicated team that really cares about the work they do. I now know that I want to continue working in the non-profit and community sector. Working towards a goal based in benevolence rather than profitability gives a great sense of accomplishment and purpose.
-Courtney Arakaki, Spring 2014 Event and Planning Intern
Advocacy & Planning Internship
We are seeking a dedicated and diligent intern to work with the Hawaii Bicycling League’s Advocacy & Planning Director to advocate for policy and infrastructure changes. You will have the opportunity to mobilize community support, conduct an advocacy campaign, pursue legislation, do a planning study, and more, depending on your interest. Contact Daniel
Education Coordination Internship
We are looking for a reliable and outgoing intern to help promote and coordinate our Cycling Workshops and presentations. You will have the opportunity to connect with other individuals and organizations and participate in related events. Contact Malia
Events Planning Internship
We are looking for an energetic intern to learn how to conceptualize, plan, manage and execute an event with 100 to 4,000 participants. You would work under the direct supervision of the Events Director to help with the Hawaii Bicycling League hosted events like the Haleiwa Metric Century, Zach’s Ride in Paradise, the Honolulu Century Ride and several other events throughout the year. Contact Sateash
Events Marketing Internship
We are searching for someone who is excited to learn how to market, expand and monetize bicycle ride events of 1,000 to 4,000 participants. The Hawaii Bicycling League plans a wide range of events, but this particular position will be focused on the Haleiwa Metric century Ride and the Honolulu Century Ride, which attracts international riders. Contact Sateash
Grant Acquisition Internship
We are seeking someone who to can help search and apply for grants relating to our education, event or advocacy programs. We currently receive several city and state grants, and are interested in expanding our grant requests. Contact Bri
Letters from Previous Interns
- 2014 Event Planning and Marketing Intern – Courtney
- 2013 Non-Profit Management Internship – Richard
- 2013 Event Planning and Marketing Intern – Anna
- 2013 Event Planning and Marketing Intern – Taylor
- 2012 Event Planning and Marketing Intern – Nina
- 2012 Event Planning and Marketing Intern – Johanna
- 2009 Event Marketing Intern – Judith
- 2009 Non-Profit Management Intern – Sara
- 2008 Communications Intern – Katherine
- 2007 Communications Intern – Sarah