With your help to strengthen our collective voice, the Hawaii Bicycling League raised biking and street safety for all users to higher levels in the last year! Bike lanes, Complete Streets, Safe Passing 3 Foot law, education programs, and pedestrian safety – a lot has happened in 2018 to make these islands a safer and more enjoyable place to ride and walk! We still have work to do to create a cycling paradise. Be a spoke in the wheel of change in 2019!
Hawaii Bicycling League depends on financial support from committed members like you. With a tax-deductible contribution of $25, $44, $100, $500, $1,000 (or more!), HBL will be better equipped to make Hawaii a cycling and walking paradise and a place where people who walk, bike and drive share the road in the spirit of aloha. 2018 marks our 44th year serving the community in Hawai’i. We wouldn’t be here without support from members like you!
Click to see what your support helped achieve in 2018:
- Advocacy in Action. HBL brought together hundreds of advocates unifying with a strong voice for a bicycle friendly Hawai`i – propelling forward protected bikeways for Pensacola St, Ward Ave, Bishop St, Punchbowl St; Complete Streets for Kailua, Kane`ohe, Pearl City; safety improvements on Kamehameha Hwy; and the passage of Act 47 making Safe Passing 3 Feet the law in Hawai`i.
- Sharing the Gift of Cycling. HBL taught 8,000 4th graders to ride a bike safely through BikeEd. We’ve reached 750+ adults with our hands-on free workshops and educated more than 1,750 adults and motorists how to drive safely.
- Bikeway Implementation. We’re building a network! 16.4 new miles of bikeways were implemented on O‘ahu in 2017 & 2018. In 2018, new bikeways in Kailua, Pearl City, Iwilei, and Diamond Head are making it safer to travel by bike. Thanks to a giant push by advocates, there is now a safe connection between Mililani and Waipi`o on Kamehameha Hwy.
- GO BIKI! – After a successful first year with thousands on new people riding those blue bikes around Honolulu, in November Bikeshare Hawaii completed a major expansion of Biki, Honolulu’s public bikeshare system. Expanding by 30 stations and 300 bikes to cover new areas including UH Manoa, Makiki, Kapiolani Community College area, and Iwilei.
- Let’s ride. Over 5,000 cyclists collectively rode in the Honolulu Century Ride, Hale‘iwa Metric Century Ride, Zach Manago’s Ride In Paradise, Aloha Fun Ride, and weekly community lead rides!
The momentum has started! Let’s keep it going and make Hawaii a paradise for cyclists, on and off road, and people who walk. We need your help to make this happen.
You’ve chosen to support cycling in Hawaii. Please make a tax-deductible donation to the Hawaii Bicycling League so your legacy as a supporter of safe cycling and walking lives on for generations to come. Your donation will help the Hawaii Bicycling League continue to educate thousands of people of all ages and abilities who walk, bike and drive, host signature events, and be a voice for cycling and pedestrian infrastructure improvements all over the islands. Be a spoke in the wheel of change in 2019!
Mahalo for your devotion to cycling and walking in Hawaii and a more livable community for everyone! Your donation to the Hawaii Bicycling League will help continue this year’s momentum well into the future.
Ride Aloha from all the staff at HBL!
Daniel Alexander, Co-Executive Director
Malia Harunaga, Co-Executive Director
Joshua Powell, Board President