BikeEd Calander 2021-2022 (dates and times are tentative)
Is your school in a virtual or hybrid learning? Check out our new “Introduction to BikeEd” class that is being offered virtually through Google Meet or your preferred video platform.
ALL BikeEd classes are by appointment only. Please email BikeEd@hbl.org to schedule a class today!
HBL is happy to offer BikeEd free of charge to all schools (public and private), with safety and health as the top priority.
- Waivers/Liability forms must be signed by the participant prior to participation in class.
- All participants (instructors and students) must wear non-medical grade face masks or face shields if a medical condition prevents the use of a face covering.
- Hand sanitizer will be provided by HBL. All participants and instructors will sanitize their hands and take a forehead temperature check upon arrival.
- Participants will practice physical distancing (6 feet apart).
- All equipment used will be cleaned between each class and at the end of every day.
- BikeEd Packet
- Parent Waiver & Information Sheet
- BikeEd Order Form
- Helmet/T-Shirt Order Form
- BikeEd Activity Worksheets
- Fun worksheets
Check Out a Video of a Typical BikeEd Week
About the BikeEd Program
The BikeEd Program started in 1989 and has reached over 100,000 fourth graders on Oahu. The five-day program teaches students how to ride a bicycle, basic cycling safely, and laws of the road. Our target audience is 4th grade public school students on Oahu and is open to public charter and private schools.
The program is normally one week long and runs from Monday to Friday between the hours of 8:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. (not including school holidays). We provide 30 bicycles, 30 helmets, 30 safety vests, and skilled HBL certified BikeEd Instructors! (Minimum of 10 students in a class). We can accommodate up to 180 students per school week. Our bikes are 20″ BMX style bikes suited for children that are 3′ 6″ to 5′ tall. On-Campus Drill Area Requirements: A 150′ x 150′ area (or a full basketball court), 1 to 6, 45 min blocks of time. Our program is designed to be completed in five days and we can accommodate your school’s rotating schedule if necessary. All participants must have a parent or guardian sign a Waiver Form prior to traveling off-campus. Possession of a bike helmet is highly recommended, but not required. Advance booking is required 6 to 8 months in advance. Cancellations do occur. There is no cost for this program. BikeEd Hawaii is funded by the City & County of Honolulu Department of Transportation Services.
BikeEd Curriculum (subject to change in light of Covid-19. Contact BikeEd@hbl.org for further details or discuss other options)
- Monday Classroom Presentation: The instructors will go over rules, expectations, visibility, why it’s important to wear a helmet, proper helmet fitting, the anatomy of a bicycle, and what the BikeEd week will be like everyday: SAFE & FUN
- Tuesday & Wednesday On-campus Workshop: 6-point safety check, how to ride a bicycle, bicycle handling and control drills, and proper stopping
- Thursday & Friday Off-Campus Workshop: BikeEd Instructors lead students who can ride safely on a neighborhood ride. Those still practicing can stay on campus to continue practicing. On the off campus ride, instructors cover safe driveway exits, left turns, right turns, and u-turns
How Do I Get Involved?
- Contact your child’s teacher to volunteer during BikeEd week
- Buy your child a bicycle and helmet from a local bike shop
- Ride with your child at least 30 hours in the next 6 months
- Organize other bike rides at your child’s school
- Become an HBL member today
For more information please call our office at 808-735-5756
Note: The BikeEd activities at each school aren’t open to general participation. See the BikeEd rodeos and Aloha Fun Rides for activities open to general participation.