Love biking? Want to improve biking in Hawai‘i? Come work for the Hawaii Bicycling League! We’re looking for awesome people to join our team!
BikeEd Instructor Part-Time Position:
Hawaii Bicycling League is a 45-year old 501(c)(3) Hawai‘i nonprofit organization with a mission to enable more people to ride bicycles for health, recreation, and transportation through work in advocacy, education, and events. HBL’s BikeEd Program teaches approximately 8,000 4th-grade students on O‘ahu each year to become safe and responsible bicycle riders.
We are looking for a part-time instructor to teach bicycle education to keiki on O‘ahu. The position is wanted for the 2020/2021 School Year on Thursdays and Fridays, from 8:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. (except for school holidays). A BikeEd instructor is part of a two or three person instructional team. The part-time instructor works under the direct leadership of the BikeEd Team Leader and will help teach curriculum to keiki on how to ride a bike and how to ride a bike safely. May through July we will have summer programs that are not at schools such as Bike Rodeos and Bike Camps, as well as distance learning projects.
- Instructs students in completing on-bike and on-road BikeEd Hawaii Program curriculum
- Is prepared to temporarily assume responsibilities for Team Leader/Instructor in their absence which includes occasional Monday thru Friday workdays
- Keeping track of BikeEd schedule and arriving on time to ensure adherence to BikeEd schedules
- Work collaboratively on remote learning materials such as videos and bicycle safety-related activities
- Assist in summer programs such as Keiki Learn to Ride and Bike Camps
- Safeguards all BikeEd equipment and materials on a consistent basis
- Assists with weekly bike repairs and bike maintenance to ensure that they are clean, safe, and mechanically sound
- Helps with various bike rodeos as well as Aloha Fun Rides that occur on the weekend, per request of Youth Bike Education Manager
- Assists Team Leader as required, i.e. conduct site surveys, distribute materials etc.
- Communicates with team members and leader about BikeEd and matters affecting it
- Participate in first five-month and second five-month reviews of BikeEd instructors
- Must possess a valid state driver’s license with a clean record
- Work well within a team environment and be open guidance and direction from Team Leader
- Adapt easily to a fast-paced environment
- Attend BikeEd Team meetings, HBL staff meetings, and HBL Board meetings, functions, and events when requested and when time allows
- Promote the Law of the Splintered Paddle, Māmalahoe Kānāwai, among students and the broader community so that more people understand that all people have the right to be safe on the roads
- Teach bicycle safety to other youth and community members as requested by the Youth Bike Education Manager
- Experience and confidence in providing instruction to others with an emphasis on instructing grade school children.
- Experience and understanding of basic cycling skills (safe and proper ways to operate a bicycle).
- Basic bicycle maintenance knowledge preferred, but not required
- Demonstrate passion for creating a more bike friendly Hawai‘i!
- Familiarity with bicycle culture and infrastructure in Hawai‘i
- Be able to lift 60 pounds and have physical stamina
To Apply Send your Application
(https://www.hbl.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/Employment-Application-Form-1.pdf) via email to bicycle @ HBL.org, subject line “Part-Time BikeEd Instructor” to Youth Bicycle Education Manager Andrew Ouchi. Application required, cover letter and resumes welcomed but not required. Applications will be reviewed starting May 5, 2020 and will be accepted until the position is filled.
Job Type: Part-time
Salary: $14.00 to $15.00 /hour
We’re always looking for interns as well! Learn while helping with our events, advocacy, and education to enable more people to bicycle. Click here to learn more!