Important Route Change for the 2016 Honolulu Century Ride!
Outbound riders will remain on Kalanianaole Highway through Hawaii Kai and along the Ka Iwi Coast.
With the makai lane (Sandy’s Bound) closed to vehicles from Lunalilo Home Road to Sandy Beach Park. This closure will be in effect from 6am to 9am and includes closing both the Lanai Lookout and Halone (Blowhole) Lookout to vehicular traffic. The mauka lane (town-bound) will remain open to ensure access to Koko Head Shooting Complex and Hanauma Bay.
There will be a rider escort from Hanauma Bay past Lanai Lookout. Riders will be stopped and escorted in large groups at a controlled speed!
Important notes about this route change:
- Riders will remain on Kalaianaole Hwy straight past Lunalilo Home Rd, past Hanauma Bay, along the Ka Iwi Coast to Sandy Beach Park
- The makai lane (outbound lane) will be closed to vehicles from Lunalilo Home Rd to Sandy Beach Park from 6am to 9am.
- Riders must pass Lunalilo Home Rd by 8:30am to continue along the Ka Iwi Coast route.
- Riders arriving after 8:30am will be directed onto Lunalilo Home Road (by turning right onto Lunalilo Home Road, then making a u-turn, and going straight across Kalanianaole Hwy staying on Lunalilo Home Road) and follow the signed route over Heart Break Hill / Hawaii Kai Drive.
- There will be a rider escort from just past the entrance to Hanauma Bay Drive.
- All riders will be stopped and queued for the escort.
- HBL Ride Leaders will escort the riders down from Hanauma Bay, past the Kokohead Shooting Complex, and Lanai Lookout.
- After Lanai Lookout the escort rider will pull over and allow the riders to proceed unescorted to the aid station at Sandy Beach Park.
- The escort is designed to help maintain a safe and controlled riding speed during a steep and cornered section.
- Any rider who does not follow instructions and passes the escort Ride Leader will be stopped and removed from the event.
- Riders will NOT be permitted to stop at any point along the escorted section, except for mechanical issues. No stopping to take photos! Lanai Lookout will be closed to all traffic. Cyclists will be able to use Halone (Blowhole) Lookout.
- This route change is being issued on a trial basis. Any infractions / issues will prevent this route from being approved in the future. Please follow all instructions and ride with caution.