- About HBL
- Events and Rides
- Haleiwa Metric Century Ride
- Honolulu Century Ride
- Events and Rides Calendar
- Group Rides
- Weekly Beginner Rides
- Weekly Intermediate Rides
- Weekly Advanced Rides
- Monthly Rides
- Annual Rides
- Zach's Ride in Paradise
- Find a Bike Shop
- Neighbor Island Organizations
- Report Dangerous Drivers to HPD
- Oahu Bike Map
- Oahu Bike Project
- Oahu Hill Climbs
- Report a Road Hazard
- Weekly Street Sweeping Schedule
- Six Month Street Sweeping Schedule
- Roberts Hawaii Training Video
- Mayor's Advisory Committee on Bicycling
2 wrongs = 2 broken ribs
I was on Kauai Saturday and rushing (first wrong) to bike up to the Emalani festival in Kokee (15 miles uphill).
Put on new used road bike shoes and glided down driveway with one foot on left pedal (second wrong), intending to swing my right foot over later (not recommended; you should straddle top tube, then push off with one shoe clipped in).
The shoes had an unfamiliar clip for me. My shoe slipped. Down I went, jamming my chest into the steering bar - 2 hairline fractured ribs (painful to take deep breath, laugh).
Half of crashes by cyclists are by ourselves, not involving other road users. Every crash is preventable. This one was.
Take care, Chad